Thursday, March 14, 2013

Enough is Enough

A professional procrastinator such as myself could explain away their lack of writing by saying they were waiting for inspiration. Indeed, I was waiting for inspiration.

That’s pish-posh.
 

Take my recent two-month break from blogging as an example. While trying to decide what to write for this post, I started doing some other things to occupy my time, such as unpacking boxes from my recent move and settling in to my new place. Before I knew it, I was fully immersed in house chores and other such endeavourers.

Then I realized what I was doing.

So in the middle of washing dishes tonight, I put my soapy sponge down and went directly to my computer to start writing.

What I was doing is dawdling. I was postponing the pursuit of my dreams by telling myself inspiration would strike soon.

Eventually.

Someday.

Maybe.

Enough is enough, I decided.

In all truth, I think Jack London said it best when he said, “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”

The funny thing about inspiration is it usually only comes to those who are or have been working in its absence. Inspiration is, after all, a product of perspiration.

Think about it. You sweat by using muscles and creativity is a muscle. It’s a muscle that only gets stronger by using it.

In another respect, writing is like a lump of coal – you won’t get any diamonds by starring at it or by thinking about it. You have to add pressure to turn any work in progress into a gem.

After thinking about it and mulling it around in my brain, I decided that I had to apply my butt to my desk chair and my fingers to the keyboard if I really wanted to get anywhere.

So here I am, finally, after such a long time.

Club in hand.

9 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome back- I've missed you :) And I must agree- sometimes you have to go after inspiration instead of sitting around waiting for it. You can edit bad writing...but you can't edit nothing :) Great to see you blogging again- best:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your continued support Rebecca! I've missed everyone and it feels good to be back :D

      Delete
  2. Welcome back and you're absolutely right...creativity is a muscle that needs worked out...every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What's the saying? No pain, no gain? lol

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! Good to see you at it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda, It's great to see you back. We missed you, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!