Monday, February 27, 2017

Oh Yeah, I Still Have A Blog | On how dreams don't always look like we thought they would

Oh wow, would you look at that? I still have a blog. Never mind that it's been just about forever since I've posted anything. Hi to anyone who is still reading after such a long respite. 

It wasn't intentional to let this blog sit listless for so long. Over the course of the last couple of years, my life has taken a series of different turns which has caused this blog to take a backseat. I don't want this post to stir hope for a faithful return to blogging anytime in the immediate future, but I do have some exciting writing-related news I want to share with the world soon, so stick around. 

Even with all the changes in my life, while I haven't been writing for this blog, one thing is certain: My life is consumed, more now than ever, with words. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm generating more content now than ever before in my life.

This morning I caught myself reflecting, looking back on my younger self who had first discovered the art of putting thoughts into written word. That younger me had just realized her dream of using this medium to make a living for herself.

Now, that dream is a reality.

That dream may not have taken the shape I initially thought it would, but my words today are sustaining me through life nonetheless. My first love, fiction, is not the vehicle I thought it would be. Instead, I'm coming up on my 10-year anniversary of the date I began the foray into the field of newspaper journalism. There are multiple awards which bear evidence to my level of success in that, even though I sometimes still wonder if I really know what I'm doing here.

But the other day, a reader of the publication which employs me came up to me and said they appreciated a recent column I had written. It was something I considered one of my more random ramblings to ever be published. Yet, he said he related to those maundering thoughts. He said it made him feel more normal.

Hopefully, that means I'm doing my job.

God really has been good to me. I'm so blessed to be where I am, doing what I'm doing. 

I give Him all the glory. 

~af~

If you're interested in keeping up with my weekly column in my professional capacity, check out http://www.reporterandfarmer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!