Monday, February 17, 2014

Chat Pack Challenge 17 – The Wedding Gift


This story was inspired by a true life tale. Maybe because Valentine's Day was just last week is why this one came to mind.


Today’s question: What is the most heartwarming/uplifting human-interest story you’ve ever heard?

The Wedding Gift

We were almost ready, hair and makeup done, the gals all had their dresses, and all that was left was to slip me into the white gown.

There was a knock at the door and a voice from the other side jokingly called out, “Are you ladies decent?”

We all giggled and one of my bride’s maids ran to the door to check who it was. Then she stepped aside and let my fiancé’s brother into the room. He was wearing his black suit and silver tie, more dressed up than I’d ever seen him before. In his hands was a package in red wrapping with a write ribbon and bow.

Tears began to well up in my eyes and I didn’t even know what was inside my future husband’s gift yet.

My friends and soon-to-be brother-in-law all started laughing and giggling at me. My face was burning because my smile couldn’t grow any wider.

“Don’t you cry now, you’ll ruin your makeup!” one of my sisters was teasing.

Then I was holding the package, carefully removing the paper. Inside was a little wooden box.

I opened the lid.

There was a stack of envelopes, all sealed.

On each envelope was written a date. The same date was on all, but the year was different on every one of them.

The top one was dated today and said "open now."

My hands shook as I picked it up and broke the seal. Inside was a letter in my fiancé’s handwriting.  

Dear Anna,

You are my rock, my love, my best friend. I want you to know you can always count on me to be by your side. Inside this box you will find a note for each year that we are together. I promise to you complete love and unwavering trust for a lifetime together. I love you, now and forever.

Love, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!