Saturday, November 29, 2014

On Deadline | A NaNoWriMo Update


Hey there internet and happy Saturday! I know what you must be thinking:

“Whoa! What’s this, an update from Amanda in November? But isn’t there, like, that thing going on?”


This blog post is brought to you by Procrastination! Keeping you from getting stuff done!
Well, yes, there is in fact that one thing going on. That thing called National Novel Writing Month, that which has consumed my very being since 29 days ago. Almost every spare second of my time has been dedicated towards writing my novel The Light Within the Darkness.

I know it’s the day before the deadline and while I haven’t validated my novel yet, a little bit ago I crossed the threshold of 45,000 words on my project. That means I have just under 30 hours to come up with 5,000 words in order to win this year.

So why am I over here on my blog writing an update to you my lovely reader?

I just wanted to take a moment to share some insightful wisdom about the wonders of NaNoWriMo. That is to say, yes. I’m stuck in my plot.

But really, I have been having a blast this year. I’ve been amazed at the story that has unfolded on the page before me over the course of the past month. This story was first conceived about seven or eight years ago and has been barely a blip in my imagination since that time. I’d never put much thought into it, having always been working on something else. This month I’ve been thrilled to see the characters come to life and take charge of the story in their own right. (One turned out to have slight alcoholic tendencies that totally blew me out of the water because I never pictured this character doing that. But don’t worry. We talked about it and she realizes she has a problem. I’ll be taking her to AA meetings next week. After NaNo.)
It’s a tribute to this whole NaNoWriMo and writing process that has me very thankful to be a writer.
As I’ve hoped on and off social media over the course of the last month, checking in with other WriMos, it’s a common theme. For the newbies and the veterans both. To all, the amazement at how their stories unfold and characters come to life on the page is an unbridled joy to behold.
Although I’ve come to a crossroads in my novel where some key decisions need to be made in the plot (and I can see it going in several directions and am just not quite sure which way I should head with it), I’m determined I’ll win this year. I’m so close I can taste that validation certificate now!
Besides, I believe it was Douglas Adams who said it best: “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Now if you’ll please excuse me, one of my characters is reaching for a bottle of Jack again…


For the record, I don’t actually put the winner’s certificate in my mouth. I may kiss it a time or two, but that’s all. I swear. It probably just tastes like paper or something anyway.  

If you’re doing NaNo this year and are like me (not quite to the finish line yet) I’m cheering you on. Go us! We can do this! Don't give up! Even if you don't reach 50k, just think of all the wonderful words you have now that you didn't 29 days ago. That's something to be proud of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!