Saturday, November 1, 2014

So It Begins!

It's here, the first day of NaNoWriMo 2014 - welcome to the madness!

If you're here at my blog, I'm going to assume that you already know what National Novel Writing Month is and that I need not explain it further to you. If you have never heard of this craziness that is writing a book - 50,000 words - in a single month, bless you. You probably got a full night's sleep last night and will sleep just fine tomorrow and the night after. At the very least, you will not find yourself at a single point this month sleep deprived due to worrying over the lack of words you have put to a page in the pursuit of telling a story on a deadline.


This year will be my third attempt at completing NaNoWriMo. My first year, in 2012, I won. My second year, last year, I was unable to complete the task.

The first year, I knew what story I had planned to write as far back as two months before the start. I spent that time before the first of November plotting, outlining and writing character sketches and background stories. I made plans and told family and friends that I was undertaking the task of writing a book in a month and did my best to catch up on my sleep before the strike of midnight on All Hallows Eve.



The second year, I did none of that. I barely knew what story I wanted to write and intended to make things up as I went along. I failed to make sacred my writing time and allowed other things to take precedence over the telling of tales and before I was half way through the month, I had basically given up.

I hated myself for that. I swore I'd never do that again.

I debated about not even attempting NaNo this year. But the lure of being a WriMo and connecting with the world-wide community was too much and I finally decided near the beginning of 30 days ago that I would do it this year. So I set out with an itinerary of items that HAD to be completed before I began. Each day, I checked those things off so I would find myself in a position of preparedness for the noveling marathon of the year.

October 30th I realized I had a problem though; I still didn't know what story I was going to write.

But that was then, and this is today! I discovered my story idea yesterday afternoon. It's a fictional tale of the struggle between good and evil that I've been mulling over for several years. The entire plot hasn't been figured out yet, but I'm excited to have lit upon this idea as this year's project. I haven't written the synopsis of the story yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post it under my "Works In Progress" page (which, yes, I realize severely needs updated right now - it's on my to-do list). All I know is I'm doing way more research for the first day of November than I should, but looking up Latin phrases is kind of fun...

So yeah. That's where November 1st finds me right now.

Also, on a side note, this is my 100th blog post. That's kind of cool.

Leave me a comment and connect with me on NaNoWriMo.org if you too are doing NaNo this year. You'll find me under my name.

2 comments:

  1. Yay NaNo time!!!!!!
    How's yours coming? I barely started, I got wine drunk last night, oops! And I was traveling on halloween. I'm getting my schoolwork done so I can write before bed tonight! I'm doing a fantasy story but don't really have the plot or anything outlined, just kinda going for it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for NaNo time! I'm sort of in the same boat as you are with my story this year. A modern day fantasy fiction that I have no outline for and only a general idea of where to take the story. Like you, I was traveling over the weekend so I'm over two days behind, but now that I'm home I should be able to catch up. If, that is, I can ever figure out where this story is going...

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!